Friday, May 28, 2010

Folded Twill Paper Basket

One of my "new loves" has been weaving with paper.  It is just so methodical and mesmirizing as the weaving progresses around the center start.  In this case, I cut the strips of cardstock paper with a hand cranked paper shredder that I picked up cheaper than cheap at a garage sale.  The strips are not quite 1/8", but more like 5/32" and had a bit of a rough edge, probable due to dull blades.  This turned out to be advantageous, because it gave the weaving a bit of "stick".  The newly formed fabric was then creased and folded and formed, no coerced into shape.  To me, it needed to be "presented" in a more upscaled kind of way.  I wanted to show it off as more of a museum type of piece.  I had a shadow box, that I had bought for some other craft project and the color matched nicely.

My photography skills are a bit lacking,
but I got the look that I wanted.

Above is a detail of the corner... it took some practice to get the corner to behave and be nice and sharp... next time I won't fold the piece into 3rd's, just measure the overlap that I think would like nice... but I love it jus the same... hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment