Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stephen and Tammy Zeh

This is my first time blogging and what a way to start. I had the pleasure of meeting Stephen and Tammy Zeh, a husband and wife team of Maine basketmakers, at the Nassau County's Museum of Art Fine Arts and Crafts Festival in Rosalyn Harbor, Long Island, New York this past weekend. I've been an admirer of the Zeh's for long time and to see their work up close and person was such an honor.

I selfishly to up way too much of their time "talking baskets", the skills involved in creating a basket from tree to hand, the tooling involved and just the shear pleasure of creating something from nothing. They were extemely generous in sharing their knowledge with me... I can't thank them enough. Pictures on the web certainly do not capture the beauty of their baskets and jewelry.

I also have to mention that Tammy Zeh makes the most amazing baskets in gold and silver. These are not just molded baskets, these are handwoven on a mold just like the ash baskets. She also does the leather work that lines the purses and makes the straps for all the baskets.

I did purchase a beautiful ash and sweetgrass medallion!!! Breathless...
Anette

No comments:

Post a Comment